Sunday, December 14, 2008

Harvard Square Holiday Fair

This Saturday, at the suggestion of Ed, who takes care of Lily Beth, I went to the Harvard Square Holiday Fair in the basement of the Unitarian Church on the corner of Church Street and Mass. Ave., right in Harvard Square.

Though this annual fair has been around for a while, this was my first visit. It's small enough so you can see it all in less than an hour, and it's full of interesting craftspeople from New England and New York, all of whom were unfailingly nice and more than happy to talk about their work. I saw adorable handmade baby clothes, gorgeous ceramics, cool lighting made from recycled cans, and tons of jewelry. I bought some wonderful scented soaps and bath salts—including one called "Sore Muscles" in honor of my new workout regimen and one called "Amber Love" because it contains frankincense and when I asked what that smelled like the woman who made it replied "It smells like the Catholic Church."

I also bought this choker from Ed's wife, Jen, whose Parrish Relics is exhibiting there:


I think I was 16 the last time time I wore a choker, but this tickled me and, besides, recent hair issues have me experimenting with all aspects of my appearance these days.

I came home and showed Ben and he smirked.

"You're not really very wicked," he said.

"I know," I replied. "It's ironic. That's why it's funny!"

Still looking for something one-of-a-kind, local, and handmade for someone on your holiday gift list? The fair's last days are Thursday through Tuesday, December 18th through the 23rd. Stop by the Parrish Relics booth and tell Jen that Lily Beth sent you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see your choker. Went to the web page and I love her stuff, but a lot was already sold out. I'll check in over time. See you soon.
Love, Michelle