Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Final Top 10 for 2011

  • The Grief of Others, by Leah Hager Cohen
  • Middlemarch, by George Eliot
  • The Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach
  • All Is Forgotten, Nothing Is Lost, by Lan Samantha Chang
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
  • Speculation, by Edmund Jorgensen
  • Ysabel, by Guy Gavriel Kay
  • Still Life with Oysters and Lemon, by Mark Doty
  • The Sense of an Ending, by Julian Barnes
  • A Scientific Romance, by Ronald Wright
  • A watershed year, I think, in my reading life as in 2011 80% of the books in my final top ten were read on one or another eReader. The other two, Still Life with Oysters and Lemon and A Scientific Romance, were not available in eBook form at the time I started them. I miss some things about print, but not as much as I expected—and now that I've switched to the Google eReader, which does a much better job of giving you a sense of where you are in the book (page numbers, how radical!) I miss them less. Still not a good choice for poetry, I think, but overall it's convenient and the house is (slightly) less messy.

    This year I'm also finally walking the buy-local walk. All links here and in the book lists on the right now take you to the IndieBound web site, where you can search for the books at a local independent bookstore near you. Although I still buy plenty of stuff from Amazon, I'm buying my books elsewhere.

    No comments: